Single Tax Filing Status-Single or Head of Household?

Single Tax Filing Status-Single or Head of Household?

Single is the basic filing status for unmarried people who do not qualify to file as Head of Household. If you were not married on the last day of the tax year and you do not qualify to use any other filing status, then you must file your tax come back as Single.

See the tax rates for Single filers.

Should I File My Tax Come back as Single?

To see if you qualify as a Single filer, you must ask yourself Two questions:

  1. Was I married on the last day of the year?
  2. Do I qualify for any other filing status?

1. If you answered ",Yes", to the very first question (you were married on December 31), then you cannot file as Single unless you were legally separated. If you were married and not legally separated on December 31, you will need to use one of the married filing statuses (Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately).

Two. If you answered ",Yes", to the 2nd question (you do qualify for another filing status), then you can file as Single, but you may get a fatter tax refund (or owe less taxes) if you use another filing status on your tax come back.

Am I Considered Married or Not Married?

For tax purposes, your marital status for the entire year is determined by your marital status on the last day of the year. If you were unmarried, divorced, or legally separated according to state law on December 31, then you are considered ",not married", or unmarried for the entire year. If you were married (and not legally separated) on December 31, then you are considered married for the entire year.

There is an exception for widows and widowers: If your spouse died during the year, you may still file as Married Filing Jointly for that year. For the next two years, you may qualify to file as a Qualifying Widow or Widower.

What Other Filing Status Can I Use?

If you are not married, and you have a dependent child or a Qualifying Person, you may be able to file your tax comeback using a more advantageous filing status than Single. You can get better tax rates and other tax advantages if you qualify to file as Head of Household or Qualifying Widow(er).

Can I File as Head of Household?

If you are unmarried and you paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for a Qualifying Person, then you may be able to file as Head of Household.

Can I File as Qualifying Widow or Widower?

If your spouse died, you have not remarried, and you support a dependent child, you may be able to file as Qualifying Widow or Widower for the two years following your spouse’s death.

Can I File as Married Filing Single?

If you were married on the last day of the year, then you cannot file as Single. However, you can file as Married Filing Separately instead of filing a joint come back with your spouse.

How Do I File as Single?

You can claim the Single filing status when you prepare your comeback on any of the Three major tax come back forms: 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040. It is effortless to file as Single on Choosing your filing status is one of the very first things you do when you embark preparing your tax comeback online.

If you file as Single and your comeback can be ready on a Form 1040EZ, you will qualify for a free federal tax comeback with the Free Federal Edition.

and e-file by January 12.

Embark Your Tax Comeback

Free Basic – Form 1040EZ is FREE

No credit card needed. Deduct fee from refund.

Unlimited State Comebacks for only $Nineteen.95

Learn about state come back prep” data-toggle=”popover” href=”javascript:void(0)” rel=”popover” id=”rightPrices”>Lowest Price Ensure

Related movie: Real Free Online Dating Site in Fresh Hampshire

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *